Wednesday, 4 November 2009
Monday, 2 November 2009
Sunday, 1 November 2009
Friday, 30 October 2009
Wednesday, 28 October 2009
Tuesday, 27 October 2009
My friend the Librarian loves blue work and made a beautiful top. Some of the stitchery blocks were designed by one of her lovely children, others come from Bronwyn Hayes of Red Brolly as well as an old favourite from Jean Jensen that she designed many years ago for candlewicking. These were combined so well with a variety of pieced blocks, all surrounded by timeless ticking. So I was lucky enough to be allowed to quilt it - all freehanded with some rule work in the crosshatching and baptist fans in the outer border.
Monday, 26 October 2009
Sunday, 25 October 2009
This is one of those Vintage Valentine and I am kicking myself as I only took one picture and not a very good one. None of the detail that I did on the central vase is shown - lots of work and it really came up a treat. Bummer. At the time all the sweeties were otherwise engaged and it was too much to rig the quilt up for pictures, now I wish that I had. Oh well - I might see it again one day and be able to take some more.
Saturday, 24 October 2009
The quilting pattern is a new one from Lorien Quilting called Continuous Feathers and I think it's smashing. The thread? An Aurilux variegated that fitted the scrappiness of the quilt. The lustre of the thread adds another dimension
Friday, 23 October 2009
Thursday, 22 October 2009
Wednesday, 21 October 2009
Unfortunately it wanted to be in white. So out went the carpet runner that I have in front of my machine and out come the microfibre broom and I swept before every row.
I find this colour to be the worst for attracting EVERY speck of dust, thread, and lowflying nano bug.
That plastic bag you see on the ground before the quilt is what it lives in. I fear to put it on the bed as I know that the Hairiest One will come home, he always does, and sit on the bed while he takes various items of clothes off. It will not stay white.
The back is my favourite. It's a piece that I have been saving for a few years and thought that this was the quilt for it. All these photos when clicked on should take you to a bigger picture.
So the middle pattern was too big for my machine's throat so I quilted all the rows up to it and then left 20" and continued quilting through the rest of the rows and then I came back and did the centre row. I did it this way as I needed time to think of what I was going to do with the centre. When I do the quilt again I will quilt it as I go through. So when I went back to do the centre row I lined it all put and hit the start button and of it went and I only quilted the bits that I wanted it to using my abort and restart buttons and jogging to the start of areas that I wanted quilted. Then I used a combination of freehand and Compuquilter to create the frame where the medallion centres were to go. The area where the crosshatching was meant, I McTeed a lot. With regard to the orientation of the quilt, I prefer it to be landscaped is for me I find it more pleasing. In the future, I will try and quilt the entire computerised part in a day and I will have more even side tension. The quilt layers were basted together before I started doing any of the quilting, which was quite an undertaking, however this was all done with the machine sewing straight line very slowly.
It is all quilted with an Aurilux thread of basically the same colour and added a bit more to the quilting instead of the flatness of cotton there was a bit of lustre.
Tuesday, 20 October 2009
Joanne has done a superb job with this pattern and it was very easy to quilt out. I have quilted her whole cloth strippy with a variation in the centre strip to enable me to quilt the wholecloth at the size that Joanne intended. This is quilt will feature tomorrow.
Monday, 19 October 2009
Sunday, 18 October 2009
Saturday, 17 October 2009
I used vintage white cotton sateen, Aurifil thread for the motifs in a darker colour to increase the depth, One Song Needle Arts pattern called Janice with Attitude, which unfortunately I don't think is available anymore at One Song, however it is now available in a set from Digi-Tech or a single block from Digi-Tech, two layers of wadding - one cotton and the other polyester and McTavishing to flatten the areas around the blocks.
It too is unbound at this time.
Friday, 16 October 2009
I also wanted to take it a step further and show them that other fabrics besides cotton could be used with fantastic effect. This is a piece of green synthetic silk(?) that I bought out of a remnant bin. The thread was my favourite Aurifil yukky green. The pattern used, there's only one, is a Kathy Olson from Just Quilting Designs, with a bit! of McTavishing in between motifs. This one is unbound at the moment, I ran out of time.
Thursday, 15 October 2009
Wednesday, 14 October 2009
Tuesday, 13 October 2009
Monday, 12 October 2009
This first quilt was a top that I bought off eBay as I did feel sorry for it and I felt that it had potential. I used a Keryn Emmerson block pattern and a Signature variegated brown/tan to quilt the main blocks.
Sorry about the creases - they all have been sitting in a pile of bags since the FOQ.
Sunday, 16 August 2009
Saturday, 15 August 2009
Friday, 14 August 2009
Emu Farm Wind Farm, just out from Cervantes heading towards the Great Northern Highway